Hidden from small

2015 Europe, May 24: Dresden

May 25, 2015

On May 24 the Orchestra traveled from Cologne to Dresden. Upon arrival at the airport, buses met Orchestra members at the tarmac.  Here, violist Judy Geist debarks the plane. Photo by Jan Regan.

 

Music Director Yannick Nézet-Séguin leads the Orchestra during the soundcheck for Sunday’s concert at the Semperoper Dresden. Photo by Jan Regan.

 

A beautiful and delicious cake welcomed the Orchestra backstage at the concert hall. Photo by Jan Regan.

Jan Lisiecki performs Grieg’s Piano Concerto during the first half of the concert. Photo by Jan Regan.

 

Yannick leads the Orchestra in a performance featuring Nico Muhly’s Mixed Messages, Grieg’s Piano Concerto, and Tchaikovsky’s Fifth Symphony. Photo by Jan Regan.

 

Yannick and Jan take their bows after a fantastic performance of Grieg’s Piano Concerto. Photo by Jan Regan.

 

The Dresden Semperoper was originally built in 1841 by architect Gottfried Semper. After a devastating fire in 1869, the opera house was rebuilt, reopening in 1878. It was once again destroyed in World War II and was only rebuilt in 1985. The hall has a long history of musical premieres, including major works by Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss. Photo by Jan Regan.