Celebrate the rich history of the home where The Philadelphia Orchestra first made its sound famous—the glorious “Grand Old Lady of Locust Street.”
Some members of the Orchestra departed Dresden for Berlin by bus, while others chose to go by train. Here musicians and staff board the train at the Dresden Hauptbahnhof for the two-hour journey. Photo by Jan Regan.
After arriving in Berlin, there were only a few hours before that evening’s concert. Assistant Principal Second Violin Dara Morales visits the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, also known as the Holocaust Memorial, with her daughter, Isabel, and her mother, Donna Burkholder. The Memorial consists of 2,711 concrete slabs that vary in height and are organized in rows. Built between 2003 and 2004, and opened on May 12, 2005, the Memorial was designed by architect Peter Eisenman and engineer Buro Happold. Photo by Jan Regan.
(L to R): Associate Principal Timpani Angela Zator Nelson, cellist Ohad Bar-David, and violinist Elina Kalendarova check their map at the Brandenburg Gate before heading off to see additional sites in Berlin. The Gate survived World War II, although badly damaged. Since the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 the Gate has become a symbol of freedom. Photo by Jan Regan.
Percussionist Thomas Blanchard touches the Berlin Wall. Built in 1961 it served as a barrier between West and East Berlin until the “Peaceful Revolution” in 1989. The majority of the Wall was torn down over the next few years and today only a few sections remain as a reminder. Photo by Jan Regan.
Yannick leads the Orchestra in Nico Muhly’s Mixed Messages to open the concert at the Konzerthaus Berlin. The remainder of the program was Shostakovich’s First Violin Concerto with Lisa Batiashvili and Rachmaninoff’s Third Symphony. This performance, like the one in Dresden the previous night, was part of the Dresden Music Festival. Photo by Jan Regan.
The beautiful Konzerthaus in Berlin was built between 1818 and 1821 and originally was a theater called the Schauspielhaus; it was later known as the Theater am Gendarmenmarkt and the Komödie. It became a concert hall after the Second World War and took on its current name in 1994. The hall was designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, who in addition to being a famous architect was also a well-known painter. This was the first time the Fabulous Philadelphians have performed in the Konzerthaus. Photo by Jan Regan.
Yannick, Lisa Batiashvili, and the Orchestra thrill the Konzerthaus audience with Shostakovich’s First Violin Concerto. Photo by Jan Regan.
After the concert Yannick greets (l to r) Vicki Heugel and Bruce Heugel, CFO, B. Braun; Dr. Michael Prange, general manager, German Water Partnership; Carolin Clement, head of the biotech unit, Berlin Partner for Business and Technology; Kate Skopp, director of global partnerships, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; and Stefan Peikert, authorized Pennsylvania representative in Germany. Photo by Jan Regan.
At a post-concert reception where Yannick was honored, he makes a toast with (r) Jan Vogler, the intendant of the Dresden Music Festival, and (l) Georg Fahrenschon, president of DSGV, the German Savings Bank Association, which is a supporter of the Festival. Photo by Jan Regan.