Transportation and Accommodations
The Billy Joel School Concert Fund also provides FREE transportation to and from your school to the Kimmel Center. The Philadelphia Orchestra will make a bus reservation on your behalf and will forward the details to you closer to the concert date.
In order to be eligible for the Billy Joel Fund benefits, all participating teachers are required to complete the following:
- Attend a professional development session hosted by The Philadelphia Orchestra’s Department of Collaborative Learning (see teacher workshop information)
- Devote at least two class periods of preparation prior to the School Concert for the students who are selected to attend the performance
- Attend the School Concert with selected students
- Dedicate at least one class period of reflection with the students after the concert experience
- Issue a post-test following the reflection for the purpose of program evaluation and complete a follow-up survey online
Professional Development Session/Teacher Workshop
Take advantage of all the FREE resources designed to accompany The Philadelphia Orchestra’s School Concert. The Orchestra Rocks is a participatory concert, so join us for a free Teacher Workshop, where you will gain the skills to effectively prepare your students for the concert:
Complimentary student guides are available and can be collected at the Orchestra Offices or one of our Professional Development sessions.
Enhance the quality of your School Concert experience with a free classroom visit (for 25 or more students) from an Orchestra Docent. These enthusiastic volunteers help prepare students to attend the concert with a presentation designed to increase their knowledge and understanding of the music, musicians, and the concert hall. Check the box below to be contacted by an Orchestra Volunteer about scheduling your classroom visit. If you are not the classroom or music teacher at your school, you will need to consult with this person and ensure that the Docent has their contact information.
Docent requests made less than four weeks before your scheduled concert cannot be accommodated.
Requests from schools located outside the Greater Philadelphia Region will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Recorders and Concert Participation