Busing and Transportation
The Billy Joel School Concert Fund also provides free transportation to and from School District of Philadelphia public schools and the Kimmel Center for School Concerts. If you would like to take advantage of this offering, The Philadelphia Orchestra will make a bus reservation on your behalf and will forward the details to you prior to the concert date.
We recommend arriving at the Kimmel Center approximately 35-minutes before the concert begins to allow plenty of time to unload your buses, use the restroom if necessary, and be seated in time for the performance. Please contact us if you are unsure of a pick-up time at this point or if you need to make changes your bus arrangements at a later date.
Billy Joel School Concert Program Requirements
In order to be eligible for the Billy Joel Fund benefits, all participating teachers are required to complete the following:
- Attend a professional development session hosted by The Philadelphia Orchestra's Education Department (Dates and times will be shared later in the fall)
- Devote at least two class periods of preparation prior to the School Concert for the students who are selected to attend the performance
- Attend the School Concert with selected students
- Dedicate at least one class period of reflection with your students following the concert
- Complete a follow-up survey online to provide us with feedback on your School Concert experience
School Concert Curriculum Resources
Our Teacher's Lounge web page will be your hub for teacher resources for the 2021-22 School Concerts! This will include lesson plans, educational videos, and other accompanying materials to help prepare your students for the School Concert. Your password to access the Teachers' Lounge will be included in your ticket order confirmation.
Virtual Docent Visit
Enhance the quality of your School Concert experience with a free virtual classroom visit from an Orchestra Docent. These enthusiastic volunteers help prepare students to attend our School Concerts with a presentation designed to increase their knowledge and understanding of the music, the orchestra, and the concert hall. Check the box below to be contacted by an Orchestra Docent about scheduling your virtual classroom visit. If you are not the music/classroom teacher at your school, please ensure our Docents can be in touch with the classroom teacher directly prior to their visit.
Docent visit requests made less than four weeks before your scheduled concert cannot be accommodated.