The Philadelphia Orchestra Association is seeking a bright, motivated, and outgoing intern to support the functions of the Communications Department. The communications intern will be involved in activities to help elevate and promote The Philadelphia Orchestra’s performances and activities. Interns will gain firsthand experience building connections between a world-class Orchestra and its audiences.
What you will learn:
- The basic functions of The Philadelphia Orchestra Communications department.
- How to write and create content for social media platforms.
- How to write materials for members of the media and a broad range of audiences.
- How to collaborate with different departments.
- The overall operations of a world-class Orchestra.
What you will do:
- Assist with maintaining the Communications department's media database, encompassing over 1,000 worldwide contacts.
- Assist with daily clip monitoring and archiving.
- Write news releases, media alerts, blog posts, and other content.
- Help to develop social media content and calendar.
- Basic photo and video editing.
- Assist with promotional events and media shoots; assist on-site media at concerts and events.
- Research social media trends, media contacts, and publications for pitching.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
What we require:
- Completion of a minimum of 1 to 2 years of college, pursuing a related BA/BS degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be highly organized, detail-focused, and customer service-oriented.
- Strong writing skills and confidence to work with the public and media.
- Sense of humor.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Ability to commit to approximately 8-10 hours per week of time with availability some evenings and weekends for concert and/or event duty.
- Ability to work with highly confidential information.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to [email protected].